Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why, Why, Why?????

Or...it seemed like a great idea at the time

Write it off to too many Margaritas or something - but about a month and a half ago I got a bug up my nether regions to paint my kitchen, dining room and hall (which all share a contiguous ceiling -thus requiring an all-or-nothing approach). I was tired of staring at the soot-stained walls (thanks to a wood stove that tends to back draft in moderately cold temperatures) and thought new wall colors in shades of bright orange, yellow, and sun-drenched golden browns (a shade alluringly called Spanish Hollow) would be the perfect offset to next year's guaranteed winter blahs.

It wouldn't be nothing but a thang, I figured, after looking at how much of my wall space was taken up by doors, windows, built-in book case, stove, fridge and kitchen cabinets.

Unfortunately, I neglected to look upwards. Because, after I spent all day yesterday washing the bleeding walls and ceiling, and all day today painting just the ceiling, it finally dawned on me that this "no big thang" amounted to painting half of my house's ceiling space. Have I ever mentioned that washing/painting ceilings is the job I hate most in the world?

A job that I confidently stupidly predicted I could do comfortably in four days - from break down, through prep, to putting back all my stuff in my cheerful new space - is now looking lucky to be done in eight days.

But the beauty of living alone is that frankly, I got no one but myself to blame for this particular cluster/F, because of course now that the house is torn apart, the ceiling is half painted, and over a hundred dollars worth of paint purchased, I am on a one-way ticket in this little junket.
Shoot me if I ever again think that just brightening up the walls would be a weekend job!

1 comment:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

But just think how cheery it'll be at 50 below.