Photo above: biscuits the way my aunt made them, prior to the baking. They will lack the additional topping of bacon grease, despite the fact that everything tastes better with Vitamin B. No hillbilly genes required to make them, despite what Flic says.
Zut alors, my peoples, but this whole 1.5 jobs thing is kicking my ass. Back in the day (my glorious, misspent 20s) I could have pulled it off and still gone out partying like a Nomeite. These days, I need to sleep.
So, once again I'm dealing with the sensation that I just stopped paying attention for a minute and all this crazy stuff has been going on:
- The AGIA has moved forward. I'm not an anti on that one yet, but does anyone else have the sense that no one really knows how to proceed on this gasline thing and voted for it figuring at least we'd have some place from which to start? Or, as it came out during the vote - that unless you had a better idea to offer - best to put up or shut up?
- HJR 9 died, finally, by not passing in the House. I'm sure Coghill will revisit this again, but the whole sitch was dwarfed by the latest Big Oil scandal.
- Speaking of scandal, how could Lege Republicans kill legislation that would have prevented Big Oil from deducting the expenses to repair the pipeline that came about through its own negligence?
- Speaking again of the latest Big Oil scandal, I'm reminded of an adage often repeated in a certain boozy little town where I used to live, one that seems particularly apt regarding Kohring and Co., aka, the Corrupt Bastards Club. "If you're going to be a whore, don't be a cheap whore."
- Municipal revenue sharing, my people. What is it going to take to bring this program back? I am reminded of the sudden flurry of publicity over a month ago when the stats came out on sexual assault in this state. The problems in rural Alaska are varied and compounded by nonexistent law enforcement, shamefully few beds for alcohol and drug treatment in our communities with high rates of alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention the lack of basic services.
- Ethics? About damn time.
- Hmmm. Looks the Lege that couldn't get its business done in 120 days, surprise, shock ... can't get its business done in 90.
- I look forward to the special session on the petroleum production tax.
- Um, I'm profoundly disturbed by the fact that I like Sarah Palin right now. But then again, after Murkowski, my expectations were so low.
- Only 607 days left in the Bush Administration. My god/dess, the chickens are really coming home to roost on those guys -- the Ashcroft hospital strong arm, Iraq, etc. But seriously, they impeached Clinton over a blow job. How on earth can they not impeach Dubyah? What happened to the Republicans safeguarding us against big government?
[Note: Ignore Blogger, this was posted on May 23rd.]