What to make when you really want to go to that pot luck but are too lazy/poor to make something fancy
Think back to all those times when there was that last minute pot luck invite, and you really wanted to go, but alas, the fridge was bare but for beer, beans and eggs (staples in cabin-dwelling land where money is short, but the chickens cooperative). If you have an hour and flour – in addition to the required beer – here is something that will bail you out of this particular cabin-dwelling dilemma. This bread is fast, easy and has a sweet, nutty taste.
Heat oven to 375, grease one regular size bread pan
3 ½ cups flour (white, whole wheat or mixture thereof*)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp. salt
2 tbs. herbs of choice (dill, marjoram, thyme, etc.)
1 bottle (12 oz) beer, preferably dark
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Make a well in center, and crack egg into it. Beat egg in well.
3. Add bottle of beer, enjoy the foaming action.
4. Stir until all dry ingredients are moist.
5. Plop into bread pan, NO KNEADING OR RISING
6. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until done.
This bread smells wonderful when it bakes, so it could also be an ace in the hole for those cabin dwellers looking to impress new friends with home-cooked meals or home-made bread.
* Unless you are a huge fan of colon-blow type breads, I do not recommend using all whole wheat in this recipe.