Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday Playlist v.2

In true Goldstream Valley, cabin-dwelling fashion I drive a 15-year-old Subaru Loyale. Yes, it sports several green-themed slogan bumper stickers as is required by the laws governing these things. Francesca (the Soob) just spun past the 200,000 mile mark, though, and requires work of me, and when that proves insufficient, with some humiliation I call in the professionals.

Francesa*, so-named because she is made up from parts from at least 5 other dead Subaru's, has survived hitting a moose, my deranged Valley (Mat-Su) seat-and-steering-wheel-eating dog, and the idiocy I demonstrated trying to cold start her at 38 below. Oh, and my learn-as-I-go mechanicking.

The totals:
1 new fuel filter
several cups of gear oil pooled in the driveway
rolls of paper towels to attempt a clean up: 1
a new record, approx. 50, the number of times I f-bombed in 5 minutes

Seriously, changing the rear differential oil looks easy, and sounds easy in the book. However, contrary to many of the nifty design features of the old Soobs, putting the gear oil back in comes in under the category of Big Pain in the Ass. You just can't angle it right to get the gunk in there without getting it all over. Correction: you might be able to, but I managed to make a big freaking mess.

But the highlights of today's playlist:

1. Stupid Day Job - Wally Pleasant
2. Tabu - Ska Cubano
3. Ask Me How I Am - Snow Patrol
4. Dance Me to the End of Love - Madeline Peyroux
5. Fuel for Fire - M. Ward
6. Miyabelle - Baaba Mal (hmm, that doesn't seem to be spelled correctly...)7. Poor and Weird - The Briefs
8. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk - Rufus Wainwright

* Frankenstein, Francesca. Ah ha ha ha. Yeah, it doesn't take a lot to amuse me. Frank, of course, was off the table, because of the unsavory associations it would bring to mind.

No comments: